Crumpets / Flapjacks
1) 500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
2) 50 ml (4 Tbsp) sugar
3) 2 eggs
4) 20 ml (4 tsp) melted butter / oil
5) 250 ml (1 cup) milk
6) 20 ml (4 tsp) baking powder
7) 2 ml (½ tsp) salt
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
2. Beat eggs and sugar in another bowl then add milk and butter or oil.
3. Fold dry ingredients into this mixture and stir well to produce a smooth batter.
4. Bake on a hot griddle or in a heavy-based frying pan.
Top lavishly /extravagantly with butter or Nutella or syrup or berry sauce or bacon and scrambled egg (infused with biltong) or honey or jam or Marmite and/or …..
*** NEWS FLASH ****
You can pimp your crumpet into a tastier and much healthier treat that will provide you with boundless joy, energy and nutrients right up to and even past morning tea.
The low GI recipe in Eating for Sustained Energy 1 by Liesbet Delport and Gabi Steenkamp, substitutes half of the flour with oat bran and includes a grated apple so you can reduce the amount of sugar you use.
And never, ever get into an international fistfight as to what constitutes a crumpet